Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pacific Ocean and traffic

Well this day has been interesting to say the least.

Our tour of SF was a huge let down due to reasons beyond my control. I have to say that I am really sad about that but I will be grateful for the things we did get to see.

We went back across the Golden Gate Bridge, saw the "Full House" house and got to experience a huge traffic jam with rush hour afternoon traffic, complete with police blowing their whistles and people honking and yelling for drivers to get out of the way. Several of those drivers wanted to take out my FIL as well..  :P
After about 2 hours we were in more traffic but headed out of SF.

We witnessed some "interesting" sights as well. YUP! It's just a very different part of the world.

Today we met Fran and Irv, Django's grandmother's sister. They were very interesting individuals. Irv is 94 years old, still drives and seems to have an amazing mind. He makes jewelry from various rocks, has a HUGE rock collection as well as petrified wood that he cuts and turns into stones. He gave the boys a nice piece of petrified wood after they shares with him that they saw the wood just a few days ago. I know it will become a very treasured gift.
Fran was in the Air Force many years ago and was stationed in Panama. She shared a few of her stories.
We only had a little while with them but I could have listened to the stories about Irv's collections for a long time.

After we left Novato we headed to Muir Forrest. We never did get to see the Redwood trees but while at the aunt's house we saw a few so we at least got a peek as them. We discovered some very curvy roads up and down the mountains there. Very pretty views.
AND at last we laid eyes on the most beautiful water that I have ever seen- The Pacific Ocean! The water was a sparkly bluish green. Just gorgeous! Even though it was foggy it was still beautiful. The breeze was AMAZING! I really had hoped that we would be able to step foot in the water but just seeing it was enough. I feel blessed that I have now seen both coasts. I think that was probably the highlight of my day. I could have sat out there for hours.

We have started the long journey home, undecided about our route. I am really ready to get home and recoup. I SO wish that this trip could have been different in many ways but I am glad that I have had the chance to see all that we have seen. One day I do hope to make our way back out this way because I really would like to see more. My mood is very bittersweet this evening. While thankful for at least getting to see these areas, I am very sad and disappointed that we could not have done more.

So with that, I am signing off. I am sure tomorrow is going to be a long day. I am not sure if we the Sequoia National Park and the Grand Canyon is out of reach for not. I pray that it is not but as of now it's not looking good. We shall see..

Good night



1 comment: